Pancakes are one of the most loved breakfasts around the globe. It’s an easy recipe that can be whipped in the morning itself while getting ready for the office. Now, it’s up to you if you want to make healthy pancakes or want to dip them in chocolate syrup and increase your calorie intake. Today, you will read about an easy yet healthy pancake recipe – the maitake mushroom and thyme chickpea pancake recipe.
A lot of people don’t like mushrooms but it seems like you are not one of them else it’s unlikely that you would have clicked on this recipe. Even if you are not a mushroom fan, you can try this recipe. It’s a delectable way to infuse mushrooms in your food without experiencing its woody flavour. Why would you do that when you don’t like them? Maybe for the potential health benefits they offer. Despite being a form of fungi, mushrooms have been used for culinary purposes. The main reason to use mushrooms as an ingredient is due to the health benefits that this ingredient is enriched with. That was about the ordinary mushroom, this recipe contains medicinal mushrooms like maitake mushroom. Now, imagine the benefits that this maitake mushroom and thyme chickpea pancakes will bring to your table. You can use maitake mushroom powder or chopped ones as per your taste. Now if you are convinced enough, begin gathering the following ingredients you will need.
- 4 tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1¼ cup chickpea flour (gram)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove, chopped finely
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp of each salt, garlic powder and black pepper
- 150g/5oz mushrooms (shitake, maitake, enoki mixed)
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, without any further ado, let’s dive straight into the preparation method.
- Whisk together the baking powder, chickpea flour, smoked paprika, salt pepper, garlic powder, and thyme in a large mixing basin.
- 1 cup water, whisked into the mixture until you are left with no lumps. Allow 20-30 minutes for preparation. Separate the enoki bits and chop the chunks of mushrooms into slices in the meantime. Remove any hard stems, roots, or cores.
- In a 12″ frying pan, start heating the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and mushroom. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or till the onions turn transparent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes, being careful about burning it.
- Pour the batter of pancakes evenly over the mushrooms and onions, making sure everything is mostly covered. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, or wait till the sides begin to crisp and bubbles appear on the surface.
- Transfer to a cook and grill for another 4-5 minutes over medium/high heat, or until it turns golden brown on top. Make sure it’s fully cooked in the centre. Turn out onto a serving board and cut into chunks with a sharp knife.
- This is the easiest recipe to prepare maitake mushroom and thyme chickpea pancakes.
Additional tip: Be informed that your cooking time will depend on the size of your frying pan. A small size pan with the same amount of content mentioned in the list will take a longer cooking time.