Table of Contents
QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Solved
Type QuickBooks Issue here…
QBDBMgrN Not Running on this Computer Error Solved
QBDBMgrn not running on this computer error occurs when the QuickBooks database server manager stops responding on the client server where it is installed.
*USA & Canada Only.
One of the most common issues discussed on QuickBooks community forums is QBDBMgrN not running on this computer error. So, if you are running your QuickBooks on the Windows operating system, and encounter the error message „QBDBMgrN not running on this computer“, or qbdbmgrn.exe not running it usually means that your QuickBooks Database Server Manager has stopped working.
Furthermore, it indicates that the Security firewall is interfering and blocking QB desktop to connect with the network therefore it fails to start or open.
In this following article, we are going to outline what the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message means, why you are getting this error and a step by step guide to fix this issue.
What ‘QBDBMgrN not running’ Error Message Means?
To better understand why QBDBMgrN not running occurs, we will first explain to you what exactly the QBDBMgrN means (QuickBooks Database Server Manger Service) and why the QuickBooks software needs it to function properly.
QBDBMgrN is an executable process on Windows with a so-called .exe extension, which you can see in the task manager of your computer.
In short the QB database server manager was developed by Intuit to enable multi-user access to the company file and databases stored on the on the hosting server.
Therefore, when the QBDBMgrN service is not running or disabled, you are only able to use QuickBooks in the single-user mode.
As soon as you are trying to switch into the multi-user mode, QuickBooks will alert you with the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message.
Why are you getting the ‘QBDBMgrN not running on this computer’ error message?
Here is a list of reasons why you might encounter QBDBMgrN error while hosting QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
- The QuickBooks desktop application has not been updated to the latest release from Intuit.
- QBDBMgrN.exe file or folder is missing or damaged.
- Damaged network path to server or network down issues.
- A glitch, error or damages caused to a specific company file.
Hosting mode got accidentally turned off.
- QuickBooks is not setup properly in multi-user mode for a specific user.
- The database server manager required to use QB in multi-user mode is not installed or updated properly.
- A firewall is blocking certain services due to limited permission to access certain files from the server.
- Following one of the above issues causes the Windows Security firewall to spot the QBDBMgrN as an unknown service and blocks it.
- The windows firewall does this to protect protect your computer from malware, unknown applications and so forth.
This is when QB is unable to connect to the internet and when you try to solve the network issue with the QuickBooks File Doctor, you receive the qbdbmgrn not running error message:
First of all let’s go ahead and help you repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers in multi-user mode.
Have you tried the file doctor already but failed to solve QBDBM it is because the QuickBooks File Doctor is only able to repair damages in the company file and network, but cannot configure your firewall settings. This is why you will have to adjust the firewall and its ports manually to enable QuickBooks Database Server Manager Service to connect with the network or internet again.
- Problems Caused by QBDBMgrN not running on server
- Unable to use your company files in multi-user mode.
- QB is unable to connect to the internet and the internal network of hosted computers.
- Unable to use any of the file extensions such as .QBW or .QBB backup data files.
- QB Database Server is unable to update properly and often stops responding unless manually restarted.
- User’s often experience their QuickBooks running slow or freezing.
- With several complaints from QuickBooks user’s and with thorough research
- invested into this error we have prepared this complete guide to help you.
- One of the following solutions will help you overcome computer server and QBDB not running issues in the long run.
- QBDBMgrN not running appears on two occasions while opening QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Firstly this problem is directly related to a connectivity issue between the server on which the database server manager service is installed that helps distribute access of your company files on a work station and Secondly,
If QBDBMgrN occurs on a specific company file and not all of the files than this clarifies that their may be errors or damages specifically on a particular file and has nothing to do with your hosting network when you see quickbooksdb30 service won’t start error.
Additionally follow all the steps in a hierarchical manner from solution 1 to 8, This tutorial begins with the most easy and quick fixes first before you try one of the more advanced steps as we dig deeper into this article understanding the source and a permanent solution to QBDBM.
Solution No. 1:
- QBDBMgrN not running fix with QuickBooks Tools Hub ,If you haven’t already utilized the all in one file doctor tool from intuit than now is the time to run this tool which in most cases can fix most common network issues such as „QBDBMgrN not running on server“ or „file in use“ errors that occurs while accessing your.
- company file from a work station through a hosted network or computer server.
- Further below we have mentioned in details on how to correctly use the tools hub to simplify fixing Database server errors for non techies.
- Here’s How:
COnce complete close the window and open QuickBooks.
At this point if you are able to login to QB and access your company data file than it was probably a minor glitch or your application was shut down unexpectedly due to which attempting to access your company file through the computer server kept failing.
Although occasionally the ”QBDBMgrN not running” is caused due to one of the following reasons.
The QuickBooks database server manager is not responding.
Network is down. (First of all network down can mean several things, for most cases this means your internet connection is not working properly. Secondly in your case it can mean that your internal network of computers are down which includes your server on which the QB database server manager is installed.
Having said that let’s move on to the final analysis of troubleshooting any possible network connection issues with the company file.
Option B: Run the QuickBooks File Doctor
Run QuickBooks file doctor
This time click on the company file issues tab
Choose to run the file doctor.
Go ahead select the company file that you are having trouble with from the drop down menu.
From the above options select Check your file and hit continue.
Now enter your QB desktop Admin ID and Password and click Next.
Generally it shouldn’t take too long for the file doctor to scan your company file and network issues, although this depends on the size of your company file. However once the scan has completed open your files once again and repeat the same process on each user’s work station on which QBDBMgrN not working is prompting.
Solution No. 2:
- Fix windows firewall is blocking QuickBooks Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard
- Open Run box
- Type Control Panel and click OK
- Control panel
- Choose the System and Security option
- System and security
- Use your cursor to navigate to the Windows Firewall and select Check for Updates (in the Update your Firewall Settings section)
- Update windows firewall
- After your PC found the necessary updates, click Update Now and wait for the installation process to be finished
Restart your computer and proceed to work with the QB Company file.
Note: If you are facing issues with updating your firewall with the above steps, Alternatively you can run the update by downloading the update files manually. There are update files for 32-bit and 64-bit microsoft operating systems.Start with downloading the files from these links and follow the on-screen instructions.
Solution No. 3 :
- Restart the QB Database Server Manager Service
- QuickBooks database server manager
- Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard
- Type Services.msc and click OK
- Now scroll down the list until you find the QB Database Server Manager Service listed as QuickBooksDB30 (2020 Desktop version), QBDB29 (2019 Desktop version), QBDB28 (2018 Desktop version), QuickBooksDB27 (2017 Desktop version).
- Choose the file for your QB desktop version and open the drop-down menu with a right-click on the file.
- Select Restart
- Open your QB again to check if you are back up and running.
Quicbooks DBMgrN Not running on this computer.
Solution No. 4:
- Exclude QB database manager Service from your firewall settings
- Open the run box on your computer.
- Type Windows Firewall and hit OK.
- Double-click on the firewall app from the list of programs.
- Go to Advanced settings and with a right-click on Inbound Rules choose New Rule from the drop-down menu.
- Click Next under Programs and select This Program Path.
- Now exclude the QBDBMgrN.exe file. You should find the file in the QB folder (C:Program FilesIntuitQuickBooks) Select the location of the .exe file and click Next.
- Choose Allow the Connection and continue with Next.
- Check-mark all the check-boxes and go Next.
- Give a name for this rule and hit Finish.
- Restart your computer and resume your work with the QBW Company file.
Note: If you are using a third-party firewall other than from Microsoft, you need to exclude the QB database Service according to the instructions provided on the firewall manual.
Solution No. 5:
- Use the Clean Install Tool to fix qbdbmgrn not running
- Download the latest version of the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool here.
- Open the qbdbmgrn.exe file and follow the given instructions.
- Choose your QuickBooks Desktop version and press Continue.
- The Clean install tool can also help you fix common QuickBooks installation and company file errors such a error 3371, 6000, 6000 77 & 1904.
Solution No. 6:
- Rename the QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders
- Use the folder options in your PC to also reflect hidden files.
- Rename the folders that are listed for the Windows version. Add old or damaged to the end of the folder name, so you can recognize the old folders later.
Solution No. 7:
- Repair, Uninstall and Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Before you perform this step make sure to backup your company file if you haven’t done that already.
- Moreover if you backup your company file on a external hard drive we would recommend you do so now.
- Besides confirming the safety of your files it will also help you stay organized and find the right file to open once we uninstall and reinstall QB.
- Now let’s get started For Windows 10, 8, 8.1 and the latest is Microsoft windows versions.
- press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard at the same time.
- Type appwiz.cpl and select OK.
- Choose QB from the list of files and select Uninstall/Change.
- Select Continue and then Next.
- Now select Repair and then Next.
- Wait for the repair process to be completed.
- And then restart your computer.
- This process may take some time depending on your computers performance, Once windows has completed the repairing process restart your PC and retry opening your data files.
- If repairing the installation files did not solve the problem than continue with the nect step to unisntall QB.
Uninstall QB Desktop:
Simultaneously press the Windows and R keys on your keyboard.
Type Control Panel and hit OK.
Click on Programs & Features Option.
From the list of programs installed on your PC choose QuickBooks.
Highlight the QB application with your cursor and right click to select Uninstall.
Follow the given instructions to finish the uninstall process.
Once the uninstall process has been completed than restart your computer.
Doing this will ensure all programs and applications are completely closed on your computer before we begin the re-installation process.
- Reinstall the QB Desktop application
- Go here to Download the latest version of QuickBooks desktop.
- Save the Downloaded QuickBooks.exe file where you can easily locate it.
- Once the download is complete double click on the installer and follow the on screen instruction.
- Doing this will install a fresh new updated version of QuickBooks desktop on your PC.
- If reinstalling QB solves your problem than perform the same process for all the other users on every work station.
We hope that this article was helpful to you and that your issue with the “QBDBMgrN not running on this computer” was resolved.
In case you are unable to fix the QBDBMgrN not running error by yourself and the database manager won’t start on your computer, do not risk any further operational delays for your business and rather contact our team of experts for quick and reliable support.
It is is easy to get in touch with our support representatives, Drop us a line or call us on +1-801-992-0013.